Via ESPN: ``Justin Verlander's last four starts: 27 innings, 15 hits, 0 runs, 6 walks, 43 strikeouts. ''
Justin Verlander hasn't allowed a run since September 18th.
STATS of the DAY
- How much has Congress been paid since the government shutdown? $2,600,000
- Rookie MLB starters have lost all 6 of their winner-take-all postseason starts from 2011 to 2013
- 4 MLB starters have multiple wins in winner-take-all postseason games-- J.Verlander, B.Gibson, C.Carpenter & M.Cain
- Matt Ryan, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger will combine to make $55.1 million this season. Their teams are a combined 1-14.
- N.Y. Giants are 0-6 for the 1st time since 1976 (started 0-9).
- Asia-Pacific countries collectively represent more than half of the world's GDP, 44 percent of world trade and 40 percent of world population.
- There are 32 million Americans who at present have no medical insurance.
Public Opinion Polls over the government shutdown have been coming thick and fast:
- Gallup: Eighteen percent of Americans are satisfied with the way the nation is being governed, down 14 percentage points from the 32% recorded last month before the partial government shutdown began. This is the lowest government satisfaction rating in Gallup's history of asking the question dating back to 1971.
- WSJ/NBC poll: 53% blame Republicans for the shutdown v 31% who blame Obama.
- If you could, would you vote to defeat, replace every member of Congress, including your rep? Yes 60%/ No 35% NBC/WSJ http://is.gd/19bH44
How the Government Shutdown is affecting every agency: Washington Post Graphic http://is.gd/mfFOT0
Snippets from International Headlines
Moscow has no illusions with regards to destruction of Syria's chemical weapons
- MOSCOW, October 10 (Itar-Tass)
Russian Foreign Ministry's spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Thursday that Moscow did not have any illusions with regards to when chemical weapons in Syria could be destroyed because the process was unlikely to be smooth. "We do not have any illusions about the fulfillment of this complicated task, especially the deadlines which have been set,"
"It is clear that the destruction of chemical weapons will not go smoothly. Apart from the hard situation in Syria, some chemical weapons facilities may be located in areas of military hostilities," Lukashevich emphasized.
- According to a report this week by Credit Suisse, China now has 6% of the world’s total of ultra-high-net-worth individuals, or those with fortunes in excess of $50 million. That’s second only to the United States, which commands nearly half the world’s total.
Wall Street Journal: http://is.gd/1Pht27
- CHINESE researchers may have found the cure for a hangover before it takes hold - lemonade. The Independent reports research from Sun Yat-Sen University in Guangzhou which explains why lemonade, such as Sprite or Schweppes, could be the trick.
Today in History:
October 11, 1975: ``NBC's Saturday Night'' (later changed to `` Saturday Night Live'') premieres with Don Pardo introducing the cast on the first show as the "The not for ready, prime time players" instead of their actual name as "The Not Ready For Prime Time Players." The original cast, included: Gilda Radner, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Laraine Newman, and Garrett Morris.
Comedian George Carlin was the first host with two musical guests: Billy Preston and Janis Ian.
``Pomp and circumstance’’, a phrase used by Sir Edward Elgar for his composition played at high school graduations was originally used in Shakespeare's Othello: ``Pride, pomp and circumstance of glorious war..'' According to William Morris' ``Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins’’, ``Circumstance’’ comes from two Latin words, circum and stare and originally meant ``standing around.'' In the age of Shakespeare it meant any formal show or ceremony.
Looking For A Good Quote?
``The fact is, that the public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything, except what is worth knowing.''
October 11, 2013