STATS and FACTS for Thursday, October 9, 2013
Adam Wainwright 5-0 with a 1.25 in his last 6 home starts, threw 48 curveballs on Wednesday, his most in any start in last 5 seasons.
Other Stats of the Day
- Sonny Gray, who holds a 1.85 ERA in his last 7 starts (including GAME 2 of the ALDS) will start the decisive Game 5 for Oakland A's.
- The Boston Red Sox outscored the Tampa Bay Rays 25-12 in the 4 games, while hitting .300 with runners in scoring position compared to the Rays' .179
- The Indianapolis Colts Andrew Luck is 5 for 5 getting a 1st down when scrambling on 3rd down , a big improvement from last year when he was just 9 for 14
- The Kansas City Chiefs are 2nd team in NFL history to have worst record in the NFL, then start 5-0 the following season. The other team was the 1956 Lions.
- Eli Manning is completing 53.7% of his passes this year, 3rd-lowest rate in NFL.
Calling her one of the nation’s foremost economists and policy makers.” President Obama nominated renowned economist Janet L. Yellen to be the first woman to head the Federal Reserve System.
Interesting profile on her from the Brown Daily Forward, the student newspaper of her alma mater.
``Yellen has a documented ability to predict the direction of the economy — a crucial skill for the Federal Reserve chair position, [John] Kwoka [profesor of economics at Northeastern University] said. According to a July 2013 Wall Street Journal article that “examined more than 700 predictions made between 2009 and 2012 in speeches and congressional testimony by 14 Fed policy makers,” Yellen’s ability to forecast the direction of the economy was the most accurate overall.''
- The Independent (London) reports: ``Scientists have hailed an historic “turning point” in the search for a medicine that could beat Alzheimer's disease, after a drug-like compound was used to halt brain cell death in mice for the first time.’’
The study, published in the journal Science Translational Medicine, was carried out at the Medical Research Council's (MRC) Toxicology Unit at the University of Leicester.
- An article from Kommersant, a nationally distributed daily newspaper published in Russia, outlines a gloomy picture for the future of Afghanistan once the U.S. pulls out for good in 2014 based on a classified report.
October 5, 2013 (?)
Report by Yelena Chernenko: "Three Predictions for Taleban"
Some bullet points from the article
- Afghan government does not control the situation in the country, while the Taliban movement's positions are becoming stronger all the time.
- More than 3,000 militants from Taliban, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, the Islamic Party of Afghanistan, and the Islamic Jihad Union are already operating in the northwest of Afghanistan from which its groups infiltrate into Central Asia through Afghan-Tajik border.
- "Neither the USSR (in Afghanistan) nor the Russian Federation (in the North Caucasus) nor the United States (in Iraq and Afghanistan) managed to achieve decisive successes in these kinds of wars."
- In to alleviate the threat, the Russian Federation will have to establish collaboration with the United States and other countries
- Where to get Census data during government shutdown?
Pew Research Center provides a tip sheet.
- An unnoticed trend in the downsizing of newspapers has been the slashing of editorial writers and opinion pages.
Pew Research Center Study: http://is.gd/R047Su
- Plunkett Research, Ltd., the leading provider of industry sector analysis and research, released its annual list of industries with the best potential for job seekers.
Here's their top 30
1.) Personal care aides
2.) Home health aides
3.) Biomedical engineers
4.) Helpers-brickmasons, blockmasons, stonemasons and tile and marble setters
6.) Veterinary technologists & technicians
7.) Reinforcing iron and rebar workers
8.) Physical therapist assistants
9.) Helpers-pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters
10.) Meeting, convention, and event planners
11.) Diagnostic medical sonographers
12.) Occupational therapy assistants
13.) Physical therapist aides
14.) Interpreters and translators
16.) Medical secretaries
17.) Market research analysts and marketing specialists
18.) Marriage and family therapists
19.) Brickmasons and blockmasons
20.) Physical therapists
21.) Dental hygienists
22.) Bicycle repairers
25.) Health educators
26.) Pile-driver operators
27.)Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
28.) Cost estimators
29.) Mental health counselors
Source: Plunkett Research, Ltd.
- Today in History
October 10, 1896:, The New York Times begins a book review section, The Saturday Review of Books and Art, based on the assumption books can and should be treated as news.
- Word Origin
Hallelujah meaning jubilation is derived from two words in Hebrew: hallelu (praise), and yah (short for Yahweh, the Lord).
- Looking for a Good Quote?
``Fugit inreparabile tempus’’
` ``Time is flying never to return’’
- Virgil, Roman Poet, 70 B.C.-19 B.C.
October 9, 2013